SSX (Voice) Comms

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

SSX (Voice) Comms

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:20 pm

SL33PY
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about voice comms for a longer time now and I think our community can benefit from having voice comms.

I'm familiar with mumble and TeamSpeak and I'm willing to set a server up for all of us to enjoy.

I just wanted to resonate the idea with all of you to

a) Discuss Voice , IRC or both?

b) What voice comms product

Looking forward to your feedback

Re: SSX (Voice) Comms

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:06 pm

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:IRC or both?
I've never been one for voice comms (just personal pref) so forgive my ignorance, but do Mumble, TeamSpeak & Ventrilo have dedicated main text chat channels with the same features as IRC (such as private messaging (text), logging & DCC send) or are they strictly voice only?. If the latter my only suggestion would be to not make it a choice of one over the other. So both if needs be.

Those who use IRC tend to idle a lot so the text based chat is kinda ideal when it comes to general use. If I've missed something whilst I've been afk (either on the main channel or through a PM), it's there when I get back and I can read up through my chatlog. Likewise if I say something to someone else and they're the ones away, they'll see it when they come back to their screen. You don't have that with voice comms and it relies more upon people being present at their PCs to be listening/talking back. Not a problem if the people using it are actively playing a game together or something (once you get used to matching voices to names) but not so great when it comes to general use imo.

As for product, can't really help there as I don't use them as I say, but I know my brother uses Ventrilo a lot. Not sure if there's a particular reason he went with Vent over TS or whatever but I'll ask him later :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Isileth
I think it would be madness to even consider not using irc. Its absolutely ideal for having a bunch of people idling yet still able to have discussions going on. Frankly its something that should be encouraged more for members to just sit around in there because its really the main hub of activity in general. Especially if we are pushing for more multiplayer / coop gaming its great for quick pick up games to see who is currently available to play.

As for voice chat, Vent/TeamSpeak/Mumble never really noticed a difference between them, they all do the same thing. Pretty sure they all include text as well now, although ive barely used mumble and its been a while since the others as well.

How much need there is for a specific server im not so sure, for the level of use it would get at the moment its perhaps easier just to encourage someone to host one while playing as a group, only takes a second to pop one up as and when you need it.

As for me I lack a microphone and often playing in the middle of the night doesn't really suit shouting out loud while other people are trying to sleep anyway, but im always happy to jump into one even if I have to reply through ingame chat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:37 pm

SL33PY
as an alternative to irc... skype group chat?

Why I bring this one up?

Simple... IRC nowadays is for 1337 hackers, script kiddies and old folk... guess what category we are :p most tweens nowadays don't even have a clue what irc is, what it used to mean or how they need to do their shit.

Edit mumble and teamspeak (dunno ventrillo well) have chat's and pm's

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I love IRC, and would not want to see us move away from it at all. We've a lot of great people and good friends in there, and I love being able to just idle in there and pitch in whenever I feel like it or have something to say. Isi makes good points about it being potentially very useful if we start branching into MP games as the like as a lobby of sorts too!

Skype group chat, I'd be fine with using that since I use Skype at work (where I can't use IRC), but I broadly prefer IRC. As a supplement? Maybe. As a replacement, I disagree.

As for voice comms, the point of the topic...not for me I'm afraid. I generally dislike voice comms, and honestly I'm pretty terrible with accents irl, so when I talk to anyone that doesn't live within a 20 mile radius I usually can't understand a word - voice comms have always made this a million times worse for me. If enough people are interested, then I think the group should go for it - it doesn't particularly interest me as a medium though.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:16 pm

SL33PY
The purpose of the thread is to get the discussion going, so good points are made and all opinions are welcomed and evaluated equally in the true spirit of our community.

The reason why I bring up voice comms is that in a lot of cases, it enhances the gaming experience. For example during a BF4 session where all of us join the same side / team and then we can communicate among ourselves. We'll be a perfect unit and we'll be able to warn each other when enemies are spotted etc.

It could be used as an alternate hang out, I hang out on SMA (our eve alliance) teamspeak and goon (leader of the alliance of alliances to which sma belong :) ) mumble server regularly it's a great way to get to know people even better.. and understand different accents alike.

You can see it as a learning experience Anny :) ;)

Keep the posts coming

Return to “Members”