Discord Icons

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Discord Icons

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:15 pm

M.Steiner
Here are some Discord icons I've put together:
discordicons.jpg
discordicons.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 24220 times
#1 is our previous icon.
#2 is our current icon.

It was suggested yesterday that we revert back to our previous Discord icon (#1), or to one which uses a 'proper' logo of ours, more in line with what a couple of our other places use.
I took issue with the first because it was a very basic, temporary icon I slapped together in about 20 seconds using pre-existing artwork when the channel was created, just so we had one up there, and was the reason I later chose to design #2 so we had something a little nicer for our channel and something which had actually had some real time spent on it.

I took issue with the second part because I feel that #2 is as much a logo of ours (whilst yes, being based off the Persona 5 inspired design I did at the time) as any other avatar, sig or banner which has used different variations of the star over the years, and that (I feel) they are all representative of the Shattered Star even if we do have a standard star & colour scheme for it. Not just that, but if #2 isn't to be considered as such, then using that argument, neither should the previous icon with its missing outer ring. (Using the exact same (standard/official) styled star and colours every time would get quite restrictive and boring when it comes to designing stuff too..)

Anyway, I have put together a bunch of different icons for you guys to pick from. We can revert back to #1 if people want, stick with our current icon (#2) or go with something from #3 - #10 which are a mix of icons using other existing STR artwork as well as a few new and adjusted ones. Which do you fancy? Top favs? :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Discord Icons

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 pm

M.Steiner
Posting my selections & thoughts in a new post rather than the OP:

I don't think our previous icon (#1) looks bad or anything (I wouldn't have put it there in the first place if it did, or left it there for so long), just very basic and I think reverting back to that (an existing image I cropped in a few seconds) over one which I had taken some proper time over (#2), would be a bit of a slap in the face to be fair. I won't kick up a fuss if that's what a chunk of us choose to do though. #2 is still my favourite (by far) and if it was up to me I would prefer to stick with that, but #6, #5, #10 and #3 would be my other choices. I think those look nicest & work well as icons.

It can be quite difficult working at this size and with a logo like ours, as when you take something from its full resolution which might look fantastic, it doesn't always translate well when Discord shrinks it to 50x50 and adds rounded corners.

How about the rest of you? :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Kon
Thanks for hammering these out, MS. Great work as always.

3, 5, 8, and 7 would be my picks, in that order. 10 is a great icon with the "STR" text, but not a logo at all. 6 is very similar to 2 in that it's quite noisy in the background and it might work better in a larger size.

7 could be moved up to my second choice if it were a bit brighter. Seems rather dark on my monitor.

I think they would all make good avatars for the forum, even though only 1 will be used for Discord.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:01 pm

Isileth
3, 5 and 7 look good to me, although maybe 5 and 7 are a little too dark? Hard to say without seeing how it looks in the app itself.

I also think 10 looks really good as well if we don't want to use the star but to me that's kind of a key image.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
First, thanks for putting these together as usual bud. Very much appreciated, and I agree with Kon that we should pretty much make all of these avatars after this :)

My pick would definitely be 7, though I do agree with the others that it feels a little dark to me towards the edges. If we could lighten the edges up a little, I'd say that would be perfect.

That aside, I actually like 2 best. 5 has potential, but I feel it needs more work re: lightening it up (too dark again) than 7 does. The change 7 needs feels quite small.

I do like the ones with "STR" in there, but agree with Isi that I think the star fits as an icon more than the abbreviation does.

Just my 2 cents :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:58 pm

M.Steiner
Since all of us (who have posted so far) have had #5 in their lists somewhere, how's this?
v2preview.jpg
v2preview.jpg (6.86 KiB) Viewed 24182 times

There are some avatars here if you want to add them to the gallery when you get a chance too, Anny ;)
1.jpg
1.jpg (11.32 KiB) Viewed 24182 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (13.47 KiB) Viewed 24182 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (13.75 KiB) Viewed 24182 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (12.85 KiB) Viewed 24182 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (9.89 KiB) Viewed 24182 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (10.13 KiB) Viewed 24182 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (9.86 KiB) Viewed 24182 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (13.12 KiB) Viewed 24182 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (8.5 KiB) Viewed 24182 times

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:34 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
That tweaked version looks perfect to me mate. That's the best of them by miles now :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:30 am

Isileth
Yeah that looks spot on to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:24 pm

M.Steiner
Awesome :)

Assuming Kon is happy with the updated version too, and nobody else posts to object (or has any other suggestions) in the next few days, I'll change the Discord icon over to that this weekend :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:50 pm

Kon
The updated 5 looks much better. I'm all for it.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

Return to “Members”