Alien Invasion vs Shadowlands

The world of Rubi-Ka awaits!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Alien Invasion vs Shadowlands

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:00 pm

Athon Solo
I'm currently considering purchasing AO (rather than playing free). From what I've seen the ongoing subscription price is the same no matter which version you buy, the only difference is the initial purchase price, so on this premise: If I were to buy AO, since it appears that Alien Invasion and Shadowlands do not include each other, which is better and why? Or what's the difference content-wise between the two?

Does anyone know if Funcom has plans to 'merge' the two so that AI subscribers get the shadowlands content too?

Athon Solo
Eve: Athon Solo - Gallente

Looking forward to:
Supreme Commander
Fallen Earth

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:29 pm

JarodRah
If I had to choose, I would choose Shadow Lands. Bascially what Alien Invasion gives you to ability to build cities, allows you to get great XP from Alien raids, allows you to go onto Alien ships, allows you to get alien perks. And a few other areas to get into. Oh it it gives you a couple new professions.

Shadowlands gives the the ability to access a whole new world, which is very very cool, along with new profesions.

Both give you access to Notum wars perks, and both were worth it to me to buy.

I would suggest however if you going to buy either, let me know I can got mine at the local EB for 5 bucks a peice, you may try to see if your local store has it also.

As for whether they are going to combine these I don't know probably a question for the AO boards.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:54 pm

Athon Solo
...none of which you can post to until you're a paying customer apparently. -.-

Athon Solo

Looking forward to:
Supreme Commander
Fallen Earth

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:22 pm

Thalastian
Shadowlands by all means. AI has some great perks (AI perks), equipment and alien raids, but not worth it compared to SL. With Shadowlands you get Jobe and the Shadowlands which offer greater XP and cash flow.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:11 am

Athon Solo
Both AI & SL are 2.99 each inc P&P from play.com atm. If I buy both, I can use both? Or can I only use one or the other on a single account?

Quick google sitesearch on the AO forums shows that it appears you can have both on the same account. And at 2.99 I'm not exactly going to be losing a lot of money anyway (not like I wasted on SWG *shudders*)

Shamn you can't keep entering new keys to get more months included with that box - 2.99 a month isn't a bad price =D

Athon Solo

Looking forward to:
Supreme Commander
Fallen Earth

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:20 pm

JarodRah
you can use both, install SL then install AI, then be prepared to update :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:36 pm

Athon Solo
Just thought I'd let you know that both copies of AO have shipped successfully and the prices haven't changed, so it doesn't appear to be a pricing error.

Athon Solo

Looking forward to:
Supreme Commander
Fallen Earth

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:37 pm

JarodRah
yeah I have found many places other then on the AO site that have these at low prices. The reason is, is becuase they are not shipping anymore box editions from what I undertstand, so stores treat the m as discontinued items.
Sc-Fi Gaming
Mechs
Kicking Eds butt in Lore

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:04 pm

Thalastian
Dont forget to log into your account and activate the games.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:20 pm

Athon Solo
Thalastian wrote:Dont forget to log into your account and activate the games.
duh!

One thing Ive just thought of: Can I upgrade straight from free to a paid SL / AI if those are only the bonus packs?

Not that it matters that much - I think play.com had AO up for 9.99

Athon Solo

Looking forward to:
Supreme Commander
Fallen Earth

Return to “Anarchy Online”