About the Shattered Star eXiles v.2

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

About the Shattered Star eXiles v.2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm

BlackDove
Boom.

The reason I didn't do it, was because I didn't exactly know/want what to add or remove.

Here's a...slightly better draft in my opinion, new stuff taken and slightly edited.
What is and who are the Shattered Star eXiles?

Well we are a group of gamers, thats for sure. We are here to enjoy our time together online. However, there are more things we have in common besides being a gaming group.

Right off the bat, if anyone is wondering why we are exiles or in exile, You should ask the members to shed light on that issue, preferably from more sources, because everyone holds their own opinion and reasoning for our position. The only important thing to say is that we are exiles by choice, not because we were forced to be.

So what are we then? Put simply, were a group of people that is based on the foundation of trust and respect for one another. We dont have ranks, numbers or positions to identify ourselves with, because we treat each other as mature adults with dignity, and contrary to popular belief, this statement does not clash with some of the specific text below.

All of this may sound a little corny, but thats essentially how things are.

As far as gaming goes, we do not perform any type of trial runs in skill examinations or investigations. Age is also not a factor in being one of our members. Everyone is able to join our group as long as they are able to behave themselves in a mature manner. That means there is no room for egos or attitudes, and they are usually not tolerated for an extended amount of time.

We are also big enthusiasts of sportsmanship. That means there is absolutely no room for any type of cheating (in reference to online gaming of course) or spying. While the information gathered from possible hostile groups would be useful, the act of espionage is in itself derisory, and therefore has no place with us. We have no use for such exploits, especially because they require tricking other people into believing a lie.

Purposefully taunting and insulting other individuals inside or outside of the SSX is not something that is condoned as well. While it is true we are all human, and when tempers fly many things are said, it is an admirable attribute to be able to rise above all of it, and maintain integrity.

It should also be mentioned that we are an entity which sponsors moderation as well. The following is a brief outline of how the entire system functions:

The moderators we have are there to facilitate games going smoothly. From experience the SSX moderators and long term members will tell you that for the vast majority of the games we play, it just isn't practical to have a self policing division. The moderators are taken from the membership, and the moderating position encompasses all of the members. Each member is given the opportunity to work for, and with their friends by taking the responsibility of moderating.

The real reason behind having a system of moderation is easy to grasp. We aren't perfect. We make mistakes in selection and people change, but every SSX member who feels that their moderator is not being a true SSX moderator can speak to other moderators or The Arbiter. Understand that moderators are there for practical reasons, not to be the dictator of their selective group. SSX moderators should never really have to be anything more than an example and role model. There will only be moderation in cases where people aren't acting like we expect a member of the SSX to act. I.e. Racism, Sexism, Homophobia and General intolerance. An SSX member should have honor and integrity. They should feel free and equal. When you take the name of SSX you take the responsibility that comes with it. Within the SSX a moderator should never be forced to take responsibility for others. Moderate yourselves, and we won't have to.

Subsequently, the position of The Arbiter should be explained.

The Arbiter is chosen by the entire SSX group (the entire membership count is offered the poll, from all of the games we play) through a vote. The Arbiter is sort of the guardian of the SSX, ensuring things run in the intended way and the community works. This includes establishing a permanent home and domain registration (as well as working together with the technical administrators to keep the sites operational and useful), establishing appropriate discussion forums as required, and driving consensus throughout the community to avoid division and segregation of the overall community in order to facilitate people congregating and enjoying themselves.

That about wraps up the responsibilities that are distributed within our community.

The most important thing to know about our gaming habits as well is that we do not strive to be the best in the community. It is far more important to respect others and to be respected in return. We are not strangers to this, and have friendships with many other clans. Competition is not the most important thing, although it is welcome when it is conforming to the ideas written above.

Were a good group. We have been, for quite a long time. Please take the time and chance to get to know us.
I realise it's probably better to keep it simple, but I regard as saying everything there is to know about us, a better solution.

Post thoughts.
Last edited by BlackDove on Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:20 pm

c
Continuing from IRC...

My suggestion would be something like:
Subsequently, the position of The Arbiter should be explained. The Arbiter is chosen by the entire SSX group (the entire membership count is offered the poll, from all of the games we play) through a vote. The Arbiter is sort of the guardian of the SSX, ensuring things run in the intended way and the community works. This includes establishing a permanent home and domain registration (as well as working together with the technical administrators to keep the sites operational and useful), establishing appropriate discussion forums as required and driving consensus throughout the community to avoid division and segregation of the overall community in order to facilitate people congregating and enjoying themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:46 pm

Blue Star
Great job BD :thumb:

If it'd help (and KJ doesn't mind), I can try to get this onto a page for the SSX site (using the existing style) so it gets a front row space on the site.

I'm already working on using it on a Tailor tracker for WoW (personal project, styling is so everyone knows that I'm an Exile ;)) so it can be a side project which should take that long to implement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:58 pm

BlackDove
Edited.

Looking better by the edit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:02 am

Inquisitor
Much better.

I have some specific suggestions for grammar, etc, but I like the sentiment and tone of this version alot.
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:05 am

M.Steiner
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:28 pm

BlackDove
Put this on the site, as well as "Why SSX?" so I can remove the stickies.

Too many of em anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:38 pm

M.Steiner
Its all on the WoW site as well. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:22 pm

BlackDove
Yar, but these should really be on the main site, and originally that was the plan anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:27 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yeah, this needs putting on the main site. Also the SSX Editorial needs putting on a page rather than just being a forum link.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:02 pm

SSX-Killjoy
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.
================================

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:21 pm

BlackDove
Works.

Re: About the Shattered Star eXiles v.2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:35 pm

SL33PY
We might need to update the text a bit

Re: About the Shattered Star eXiles v.2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:12 pm

M.Steiner
When we launched the TOR group site myself and Anny actually wrote a brand new page especially for introducing new people to. It's not on the main site itself unfortunately, though we did later adapt it for the MWO site too. When I was designing the site I wanted something a little more up to date on there too.

I'll pull that page over to the forums this afternoon and create a new sticky with it for you to link people to. Will add links to this thread and Why SSX? in there too so it's all in one place should anyone want to read further :)

[Edit]Done :thumb:

Return to “General Discussions”