Possible Free MMO to consider - SilkRoad Online

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Possible Free MMO to consider - SilkRoad Online

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:38 pm

Drafell
Hi, I haven't been around for a long time and after checking through the egosoft forums I came across ESD and thought "Aha" it's time to check up on my old friends."
So here I am, still playing DarkSpace (well not playing, haven't been ingame in months, more sitting in the Lobby banning people, just as fun), and running a guild in GuildWars called the Ascalon Honor Guard.

I recently came across an interesting chinese conversion MMO called SilkRoad Online. Apparently its going to be free to play forever and they are in so called 'closed beta' which everyone can play..??? Weird Chinese/Koreans. Huh.

Anyway, just though I would say "Hi" and check out how everyone here is doing and let you know. Another possible game to check is Face Of Mankind which is now in Open Betaas well, although considering the time it takes me to download these on 56k I haven't had time to check it out personally.

Glad my forum account hasn't been culled yet:-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:26 am

Kon
Heya Drafell! Long time, no see. I've heard of Silk Road before but it looks like every other Korean MMO. Bad. Glad to hear your having fun in Guild Wars and Darkspace still. Oh, I hear Padishar is into Silk Road as well. ;D
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:29 am

Stracius
Hey Draf, long time no see.

Funny you should mention it, I've actually got silkroad online updating in the background as I type. Unfortunately, I've yet to be able to get onto the server to check the game out. Been trying for a little while now, heh. Anyway, I think someone else posted about this game a week or so back too.

Glad to see the first (or one of) ssc'r I ever met is still floating about in cyberspace ^^

ah, here we go.
http://www.shatteredstar.org/ssx/forums ... php?t=2018
http://www.shatteredstar.org/ssx/forums ... php?t=1958

trouble with that search function I see :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:54 am

Drafell
Yeah, logging in is a problem, but they are working on getting more servers up. Apparently we are only seeing 1/3rd of the game universe as the European and (Indian?) sections are currently missing.
It will definately be worth seeing how the game develops.

Of ocurse, it's a grind fest, but then itis being developed for the type of market that requires it.

Hi there Kahn :-)

Good to see you Stracius :-) What are you up to recently?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:14 am

Stracius
work, games, anime, and lately idling on irc :P

I occasionally drop by DS and see what's up. Looks like the same old whining, just the faction in question changes from time to time. Otherwise for me the game scene is pretty random. Bit of this, bit of that. Currently dabbling around with Anarchy Online. Not to mention a bunch of indy games.

Finally managed to hop onto Silkroad. And here I thought Ironforge in World of Warcraft was crowded, lol. Damn was I mistaken. Some spots were so filled with players it was hard to navigate. Then again, I'm not all too fond of the point and click movement interface. Still trying to get the hang of the controls. And the translations are downright hilarious : "Start to conversate" "Stop to conversate" :lol: . Entertainment in itself, though I can see it could become annoying soon.

I've yet to do more than just a few quests though. Haven't ventured outside the city to kill stuff. I'm, uhh.. taking my time. yeah, that's it ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:11 pm

Drafell
I've yet to do more than just a few quests though. Haven't ventured outside the city to kill stuff. I'm, uhh.. taking my time. yeah, that's it Wink
Haha, yeah right.

I tried Anrachy butthere seemed so little to do. the same dungeon for everyone, gets kinda boring. Even the Underground Map in each city is exactly the same.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:38 pm

StormRider
Haya Drafell, Nice to see ya still aroud matey .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:14 am

Futile Resistance
Drafell wrote: I tried Anrachy butthere seemed so little to do. the same dungeon for everyone, gets kinda boring. Even the Underground Map in each city is exactly the same.
Hehe. Well, pointing and clicking at mobs and then using potions and rinse repeat until chaos mode was pretty mundane as well :D At least in AO, I've got a whole lot more variety in skills and items :thumb:

But to each his own. I hope you enjoy the game. Not my cup of tea, seeing how it'll eventually get erased, being beta and all. Btw, I heard somewhere that this game'll go "free" for will have "shops" that if you want to buy from em, it'll cost some real $? Similar to Project Entropia?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Drafell
The game is free and uhh,, no more character wipes from now on..

The chinese version apparently has a 'shop' where you can purchase bonuses for your account - nothing game breaking, but you get exp bonus for x days or a bundle of 10000 arrows. I haven't been playing much myself, it's more a nice distraction. I was jsut bringing it to the attention of those who may be interested.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:36 am

Padishar
Hey Drafell, good to see ya pop ur head in m8 :thumb:

You called it, game is mostly a fun (free) distraction. Quests are starting to trickle in slowly (easly get 1/2 a lvl from turning in a single quest). They finally opened a new server so it is no longer hard to get on. Also like you said only 1 of 3 different areas have been implemented so its not only early yet, but its only been a week since ALPHA testing :lol:

As far as mindless goes, it is right now for the most part... just like diablo or dungeon seige.... Just with more people and PvP options. Who knows what will change as they get farther along in the Beta.

Not exactly the end all be all of MMO's, but as you said Drafell its a nice distraction, at least for now. Lots O games on the horizon, hope more come out like this to fill in the gaps between releases. Until that one magical day when the game of all games comes out :cool:

Once again, good to see ya m8, stop by a lil more often ;D

PS. Main chars name is....... Padishar.... hehe. We got a guild going called Roshambo (southpark ftw :cool: hehe ) on the server that starts with a X. Average lvl of guild is mid 20's to low 30's.
Hope to catch ya on, Take care m8.

Return to “General Discussions”