Teamspeak 3 Server

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Teamspeak 3 Server

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:35 am

NF
Arbiter
OK - I have managed to get this sorted and have setup a server on: 85.236.100.46:10537 (or click this [url=ts3server://85.236.100.46?port=10537]link[/url] to connect immediately.)

We've got 50 slots which should be plenty for now.

Enjoy.
NF

Re: Teamspeak 3 Server

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:41 pm

M.Steiner
Oh yeah, 50 slots should be more than enough.

I haven't personally used a mic when I've been on there (yet) but BD, Rah & myself have been on TS a few times whilst playing Star Citizen and I imagine usage of it will only increase. Tis far easier trying to coordinate via voice than text tbh (especially when you crash and you can't type ingame), and that's coming from somone who has never really liked using voice comms heh. I still don't, but I can appreciate the need and intend to start using a mic myself in the near future.
We'd been using another guys server for it though (who BD played Firefall with and is also in our SC org) so whilst that was cool of em and very handy, it will be nice to have a place to call our own.

Thanks for doing this, NF! :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:34 pm

BlackDove
Any way to get it to connect to something like shatteredstar.org?

So if I have to tell people to get on teamspeak, I don't have to tell them a long IP number.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 pm

NF
Arbiter
sure there must be a way - as one suggestion you could do a redirect from, say, www.shatteredstar.org/ts to the link I posted above which would then auto fire up TS and connect to the server.

Leave it with me, I'll do some research.
NF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:54 pm

BlackDove
Yes, the point is to avoid me having to ever have to find or link a string of IP numbers, ever.

I know the one I connect to now just uses ced23ric.de - easy for me to remember, and to just put in a chat that does not have linking capabilities (like ingame). That way a person just either copies it or if they can't, direct inputs it into TS because it's easy to do so.

That said, a string of shitty numbers is much better than no TS at all, and for us here it's easy to bookmark it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:27 pm

BlackDove
This the solution? I wouldn't know.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:56 pm

Kon
It's been a while since we had our own VOIP server. Thanks for pitching in, NF.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:54 pm

NF
Arbiter
Yeah I've been trying that one BD (with str.servegame.com and shatteredstar.noip.me) but they don't seem to want to allow me to connect.. which is a pain. I'm still exploring as to why this is the case so will keep you updated.

Another option would need the intervention of Anny as it requires some messing around with the server. Namely to setup ts.shatteredstar.org (or similar) to redirect to 85.236.100.46:10537 - how this works though is dependent on the back end we use so may or may not be possible.
NF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:17 pm

M.Steiner
NF wrote:Another option would need the intervention of Anny as it requires some messing around with the server. Namely to setup ts.shatteredstar.org (or similar) to redirect to 85.236.100.46:10537 - how this works though is dependent on the back end we use so may or may not be possible.
Something like this would be ideal if it's possible and easy enough to set up. We're all familiar with shatteredstar.org (and that's where new folk get linked to) so adding ts on there somewhere will be easy enough to remember and pass on to peeps. I'll point Anny here when I see him next just incase he hasn't been following the thread :)
(We can probably add a Teamspeak link into the main site nav with the IRC stuff under community too)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:38 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
NF wrote:Another option would need the intervention of Anny as it requires some messing around with the server. Namely to setup ts.shatteredstar.org (or similar) to redirect to 85.236.100.46:10537 - how this works though is dependent on the back end we use so may or may not be possible.
I've set that subdomain up as I believe it needs to be to point to that IP. DNS takes time to propogate though so may take an hour or two before it actually works (or until I can tell that it doesn't).

I can't specify the port on my end though - you can't do that through DNS. I think that's something you'll need to do on your server - I imagine right now it'll just be routing the request through port 80.

EDIT: It appears to work.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:31 pm

M.Steiner
Yep, connecting to ts.shatteredstar.org:10537 works through TS. Just tried :)
If you can work it so it knows that port by just connecting to ts.shatteredstar.org, NF, that'd be ideal. If not then the above is much better than the actual IP address as none of us are going to remember 85.236.100.46:10537 hehe :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:04 am

Zephir
Teamspeak 3 supports the use of DNS SRV records:

_ts3._udp.name TTL class SRV priority weight port target

You also need and A record for the teamspeak host address, I'm not sure how our DNS is hosted but assuming you have access to the zone file something like

Code: Select all

_ts3._udp.voice  3600    IN  SRV 0   5   10537   voice.shatteredstar.org.
voice      IN  A   85.236.100.46
will add the required DNS records.

Then you can just enter voice.shatteredstar.org as the server in your Teamspeak client and it will figure out how to connect.

If you don't have direct access to the zone files then the dns provider admin panel should have a way to create the SRV and A records just make sure the service is _ts3, and the protocol is _udp. The name can be anything you want in the above example I used voice as the hostname if you want you can use ts3, or something else just replace every instance of voice with ts or whatever else you want as the hostname.

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:51 am

NF
Arbiter
OK - here is a possible solution: I've set it up so that we can now use 2901742.ts3.mpgs.co instead of the IP to connect so perhaps we could map the DNS to this instead of the IP as it doesn't need the port added on at the end.

If this doesn't work then I have to say that I think Zephs method is the only other way that we can do this as I've seen similar instructions around (but have to say I don't really understand it!) that say it will work.
NF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:55 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I was under the impression that my creating an SRV record alongside the A record I setup wouldn't do anything, as the service isn't running on my server, and I therefore don't have full control of it.

Reading what you've said though Zeph, sounds like I may have been wrong about that, and that doesn't really matter as long as TS3 is listening for the inbound request! Thanks for explaining :)

I'll have another look tonight and try and setup an SRV record, then we can see if that does the trick. Fingers crossed!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Zephir
The SRV record is a DNS record that points to the host running the service, in many respects it is similar to an MX record that tells you where to send email. The DNS server does not have to host any services it is just the signpost that tells clients where to find the services.

What happens is that the Teamspeak client requests the SRV record from the dns servers and sees that there is a service for it, and that the service can be found on port NNN of host a.b.c

Zeph
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The post I was reading about how to set everything up was suggesting I'd need to configure a Virtual Host for the service, to work in conjunction with an SRV record in order to produce the desired result. Perhaps that only applies if I'm hosting the service myself then, in that case - I was assuming NF would need to do those config changes on his server in order to force it to handle incoming requests through that port.

In case you can't tell, I don't have cause to change the DNS settings very often :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I've setup the SRV record, though it may take some time to pull through as DNS propagation generally does.

MS - I'll probably prod you to test later/tomorrow if you don't mind :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:19 pm

M.Steiner
Sure thing :)
I'm glad you guys know what you're doing/talking about cos I haven't got a clue :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:59 am

Zephir
So you have a host ts.shatteredstar.org and when ts3 tries to connect to ts.shatteredstar.com it resolves correctly, but then gives an unable to connect error and the log shows

4/28/2015 22:45:34	TSDNS	Info	DNS resolve successful, "ts.shatteredstar.org"=85.236.100.46	
4/28/2015 22:45:34	TSDNS	Info	SRV DNS resolve unsuccessful for "_ts3._udp.ts.shatteredstar.org"	
So I did a bit of checking and.......

C:\Users\Colin>nslookup -type=SRV _ts3._udp.ts.shatteredstar.org
Server:  cdns01.comcast.net
Address:  75.75.75.75

*** cdns01.comcast.net can't find _ts3._udp.ts.shatteredstar.org: Non-existent domain

C:\Users\Colin>nslookup -type=SRV _ts3._udp.shatteredstar.org
Server:  cdns01.comcast.net
Address:  75.75.75.75

Non-authoritative answer:
_ts3._udp.shatteredstar.org     SRV service location:
          priority       = 10
          weight         = 5
          port           = 10537
          svr hostname   = ts.shatteredstar.org

C:\Users\Colin>
Sure enough there is no SRV record for ts.shatteredstar.org but there is one for shatteredstar.org and it works in ts3. So, did you intend to create the SRV record as shatteredstar.com instead of ts.shatteredstar.com ?

Zeph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:09 pm

Zephir
Ignore the post above actually it is working as intended it should use a domain, just enter shatteredstar.org as the server address in the ts3 client.

Zeph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ah right, good - was getting worried then haha :lol:

I thought I set it up to use the subdomain!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 pm

NF
Arbiter
Great work!
NF

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:40 pm

M.Steiner
Awesome, shatteredstar.org on its own is even better :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:48 pm

Zephir
To set up as a sub domain you would have to have used _ts3._udp.ts.shatteredstar.org. for the SVR record, note the full subdomain name with a period on the end,

But shatteredstar.org is great, and it's not like we have multiple teamspeak servers that we want to have unique addresses for.

Zeph.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:41 pm

NF
Arbiter
Oh one last bit of housekeeping - any volunteers to also take admin access for the server as a backup if I'm not about (not that I'm going anywhere but you never know what life can throw at you). Let me know and I'll PM the admin token across to whoever wants.
NF

Return to “Members”