We're On Facebook!

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

We're On Facebook!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Hey everyone, just a reminder that we're on Facebook too if you just can't get enough SSX content in your day ;)

We've been fairly quiet there for a while, but we're definitely going to be picking up our activity going forward - both promoting content and discussions here on the website, and hopefully even generating separate content and discussions too!

If you're on Facebook and haven't already, give us a Like and get involved :) SSX Facebook Page

Hope to see you all contributing to the page :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: We're On Facebook!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:27 am

M.Steiner
I know we had a discussion on this a few years back but just to check, is it still against the Facebook terms to use any other buttons than the ones they provide?. Not to physically alter their assets but to use custom ones or whatever? Or do they have some none crappy looking buttons now which may go better with our forum than this one did?:
Anubis wrote:Image
I only ask cos it has been a good while since then and Joystiq as one example seem to have some some custom buttons for sharing to Facebook, Twitter & Google+. Or at least don't appear to be the standard looking buttons you see in most places and all follow the same "look":
share.jpg
share.jpg (77.06 KiB) Viewed 22844 times
As do VG247 & Gamespot:
save3.jpg
save3.jpg (65.21 KiB) Viewed 22841 times
share2.jpg
share2.jpg (61.8 KiB) Viewed 22844 times
I should be able to whip up a share button to match the style of other buttons if they will allow it now and incorporate that at the bottom of our posts and/or threads for those of you who use Facebook to make use of. I don't use the place myself as you know but if you guys think it will help promote forum discussion (maybe even bring some new folk if we're lucky?) I'm all for revisiting the social media button(s) idea :)

Edit: Here we go. These look nice if I do say so myself!

Image Image Image
:thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'll look into it - thanks mate, rules may well have changed since last we looked :)

It might be a few weeks before I am able to get something sorted, as I'm going to be away for the next 3 weekends and this one will pretty much be getting prepared for that, but I'll do what I can!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:54 pm

M.Steiner
No worries :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:30 pm

M.Steiner
Was thinking that as well as implementing the share buttons I posted above we could add these ones as well:
sm.jpg
sm.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 22735 times
These would link directly to our groups on Steam, Facebook and (if we made one) Twitter. Right now we have no main links to our Steam or Facebook groups on the nav for either the forum or main site, to find them you have to go into the general & members forums and then into their respective threads. This way they're always up top, easy to spot and quick to get to. Guaranteed to get more attention than within 2 different sections of the forum I would think. Alternatively we could add text links besides "Forum Index | Main Site | Chat With Us Live!" for them but I think the buttons work better as their logos are instantly recognisable.
These buttons (with the addition of the steam button ofc) are slightly different from the ones I posted above btw, as I added a slight glow to the outer edge so as to make them pop out a bit more against the star background. If you wanna add these too let me know and I'll pass along the images for them too :)

[Edit: Adding buttons for Google+, YouTube & Twitch]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:32 am

SL33PY
Next to facebook, I created a youtube channel last week. I'll be on IRC tonight, be there so I can make you two managers of the channel, then we can start building it up!

:thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:47 pm

M.Steiner
Edited the image in my post above with a YouTube button too :)

Also,
I don't know if it was Facebook that did it when the image was uploaded or whether it was the image itself that was already like that from being cropped, but the Facebook header image is very heavily compressed. Like seriously so:
fb.jpg
fb.jpg (78.23 KiB) Viewed 22768 times
As such I have resaved the image to the size needed. Unless it is Facebook themselves raping images with such awful compression, in which case.. nm I guess heh. Tis here if needed :thumb:
fbnew.jpg
fbnew.jpg (65.46 KiB) Viewed 22768 times

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Was thinking that as well as implementing the share buttons I posted above we could add these ones as well:
sm.jpg
These would link directly to our groups on Steam, Facebook and (if we made one) Twitter. Right now we have no main links to our Steam or Facebook groups on the nav for either the forum or main site, to find them you have to go into the general & members forums and then into their respective threads. This way they're always up top, easy to spot and quick to get to. Guaranteed to get more attention than within 2 different sections of the forum I would think. Alternatively we could add text links besides "Forum Index | Main Site | Chat With Us Live!" for them but I think the buttons work better as their logos are instantly recognisable.
These buttons (with the addition of the steam button ofc) are slightly different from the ones I posted above btw, as I added a slight glow to the outer edge so as to make them pop out a bit more against the star background. If you wanna add these too let me know and I'll pass along the images for them too :)
Yes, I really like this idea! I will do this at the same time, though I still won't be in a position to do the work until next week when my busy spell has come to an end.

I'll pick this up with you on IRC next week, and we can sort the images etc out - same goes for the FB main image (though I'll try and do that quicker as I think it's a small change to make)!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:51 pm

SL33PY
anubis, send me your gmail account email adress plz so I or ms can add you to our brand new youtube channel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SL33PY wrote:anubis, send me your gmail account email adress plz so I or ms can add you to our brand new youtube channel
I shall PM you immediately!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:11 am

SL33PY
I could use a hi res version for our google page

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:12 pm

M.Steiner
Just updated the image on there, did the YouTube one last night :)
Do many people here use Google+ though?. I don't use any of them myself but G+ has always come across as the least popular to me?. I made the share button for it just on the off-chance that anyone here does use it and can help share our content individually through there as well, but as our SSX pages go it might be an idea just to focus on the others we now have otherwise we risk spreading ourselves too thin I think. Better to have a concentrated effort across Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and possibly Twitch if anyone here has an internet connection capable of streaming (and most importantly - increasing our forum and site activity for the visitors we may attract through those) rather than trying to fit a third social media site in there as well.

Uploading to YouTube will be a bit of a struggle for me due to my internet connection and the fact that I'm not the only person here who uses it but I'll give it a try. Driveclub will be out at the end of the week here so I'll see if I can record a race or two on my PS4 and upload it to our channel overnight one day. Streaming for me would be out of the question but if I can get away with uploading smallish vids overnight when I don't have to worry about my internet lagging like hell whilst I upload something (and pissing my brother off if he's trying to play Dota), I'll give it a try as I say.
I have Nvidia's ShadowPlay on my new system for PC game recordings too but I don't have any video editing software on here like the ShareFactory app on PS4 and haven't used any for years either so will look into that in the near future. I did a 40 second test recording of Tomb Raider on ultra (downsampled from 2560x1440 to 1080) which pumped out a 200mb file. A 5 minute recording on PC would be around 1.9GB according to SP and on my upload speed... would take a while. Will see though. I'll give Driveclub a try first :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:05 pm

SL33PY
we can use font awesome to make our fb, g+ and whatever buttons http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/

Scaleable, free, and allowed :-)

I just set up the G+ page because of more linkage = more points = higher ranking = more visibility = (hopefully) more friends to play games with :)

I linked not only the site (was already done tbh), but the facebook page and our steam community group on there

ps some rights on the facebookpage would be awesome too :) :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:00 pm

M.Steiner
I noticed you made an Arbiter vote post on our Steam groups discussions board, Sl33py, just had me thinking.. How do we post announcements on there? Is that an admin only feature?. Group announcements on Steam are set to appear in each members activity page by default that's all (where you can see what your friends have been playing, achievements earned, games bought etc), unless ofc they have been manually turned off by the user. They also have a live pop-up tab like when a friend starts playing a game. Likely to get seen more than posts within the steam own forum I would think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:23 pm

SL33PY
I just started a new discussion, it's a group forum feature. pgarizona is the admin, no clue what he can do more than I

Also, I have no clue what his forum name is :sweat:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:29 pm

M.Steiner
That's KJ :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:03 pm

SL33PY
when his kids get to playing age, our community will flourish :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Updated the FB cover image. I'll see about those social buttons on this site early next week!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:17 pm

M.Steiner
That looks much nicer!
Twitter has a header and profile image now too (did those last night). Due to their 1500x500 sizing and their compression to boot, the header doesn't look as nice as it could but not much we can do about that. Not to worry I guess :)

Btw is there anyone else here who would like to be able to post news and stuff to our main homepage?. If we're trying to get our name out there through these other sites like Twitter & YouTube in the hopes that we attract some new peeps in the process then it'd be a good idea if we kept the main site flowing with content as well (forums too but they should go without saying heh). Could do with hooking a few more people up with the ability to post there as I'm the only one who has been, for the last couple of years infact. Screenshots aside :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
We're also now reachable here as a means of creating a friendlier URL :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:40 am

SL33PY
google.com/+ShatteredstarOrg
Add a few extra letters or numbers to this URL to get one that is unique for your page.
So what name are we going to chose for our google+ page

+ShatteredstarOrg is the base, I can't change that part unfortunately

So I was thinking of +ShatteredstarOrgExiles maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:51 am

SL33PY
Also, can one of you guys couple our twitter account to our facebook page? Since my own facebook account is already coupled to twitter I'm unable to make the link myself

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:54 am

M.Steiner
SL33PY wrote:So what name are we going to chose for our google+ page

+ShatteredstarOrg is the base, I can't change that part unfortunately

So I was thinking of +ShatteredstarOrgExiles maybe?
+ShatteredstarOrgGaming perhaps?. Doesn't sound too bad to me and we're using SSX_Gaming over on Twitter too so kinda fits.

(Anny or someone else will have to do the Twitter > Facebook linking as I don't have an account with the latter)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:48 pm

SL33PY
M.Steiner wrote: +ShatteredstarOrgGaming perhaps?. Doesn't sound too bad to me and we're using SSX_Gaming over on Twitter too so kinda fits.

(Anny or someone else will have to do the Twitter > Facebook linking as I don't have an account with the latter)
If anny agrees it'll be +ShatteredstarOrgGaming

also... why don't you have a fb account? (don't tell me *tinfoilhat*)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:07 pm

M.Steiner
Mainly because Facebook (and the rest of them) have just never appealed to me at the end of the day but I'm also very particular about what I do online and what info I put up. My internet time is a bit of a getaway for me too really, somewhere I can relax and be somewhat anonymous.
I've never liked the idea of having so much personal identifying infomation online either and especially not all in one place like Facebook, even if you can make some of it private. I don't mind people knowing me by my first name rather than just MS (and many people have called me by that over the years, especially in Neocron & WoW) but I don't even like sharing my surname online either. I'm not a Smith or Jones so anywhere I used my full name... wouldn't take someone very long to find out my full address if they wanted to and if I had other identifying info on a profile too? Might as well just give them it myself. As such nobody has that unless it's absolutely neccessary (like with billing). Even if I didn't dislike the idea of the site to begin with stuff like that puts me off even further tbh (and fake accounts are against their TOS). Facial recognition too? That shit is <censored> creepy... Then there's the fact that the net is full of trolls & different sites are always being hacked, peoples accounts being compromised or private info, logins, e-mail addresses leaked etc. I know Anny used to be (and maybe still is) very, very cautious when it came to shopping online for example but I'm pretty much the same but when it comes to my own personal info. Paranoid perhaps but sites like that don't interest me to begin with so.. :)

Return to “Members”